Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Remedy for Racism


Fountain at the Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, AL

     I normally would not share things like this with you especially since it has little to do with SC, but I felt led to do so.
As you may know, tomorrow is Martin Luther King Jr Day. For many of us, it’s a holiday. For others, it’s not. If you’re like me, I learned about MLK, Rosa Parks, Brown v. Board of Education, every year in school. But I don’t think we fully understand the implications.

I was fortunate to take a trip with my senior seminar class in college to Montgomery and Selma to visit historical sites from the Civil Rights movement. I can’t believe I had not done it before. I will try not to go off about the sociology of racism or Conflict Theory.  I will just say that as a girl who grew up in AL, whose capital is the mecca of the Civil Rights Movement and bus boycotts, it is easier for us to blame racism on those before us instead of changing our perspective about others and taking responsibility for what is still happening. 
We are not so far removed…


This morning in church, the pastor’s sermon was entitled “The Remedy for Racism.” He talked about the Civil Rights movement and compared the racism in the US to that between the Jews and Gentiles. Christ died so that we could not only be washed of the sins of prejudice and have unity with God, but also have unity with our brothers and sisters. “For He is our peace, who made both groups one and tore down the dividing wall of hostility.” (Read Ephesians 2:11-22; it’s good stuff) Another reason to repent of intolerance, God promises “judgment without mercy to the one who hasn’t shown mercy. For mercy triumphs over judgment.” (James 2:12-13)

I can honestly say that one of the times I have felt most welcome was while serving in Perry County. It was a rural all-black church and the congregation was thrilled to have 5 white college kids present. To me, MLK day isn’t about Civil Rights, it’s about unity. What are we doing to bind instead of separate? Are we judging without mercy?

So tomorrow, whether you celebrate or not, take some time to serve others in unity.  
In 1986, MLK day was first observed and in 1994 it became a National Day of Service. Since the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is also in charge of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, the other VISTAS in Spartanburg and I will be serving as team leaders for various service projects throughout the city. For more info about MLK Day of Service, click here.

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?”
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.



The above represents my opinion and my opinion alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment