| My drive to work (Cue Elizabethtown soundtrack) |
So I’ve been in SC now for about two months so I guess it is time for a reflection.
Before this, I thought that the degree of Southern-ness was directly proportion to one’s longitude; however, SC dispels this. SC is not less Southern because it is more north than AL. By my interactions, it is almost just as Southern. If I didn’t know any better, I could be in AL or TN right now.
In fact, I drive thirty minutes to and from work on some incredibly country roads. In addition to the breath-taking views of foliage and farm houses, I see a vast amount of wildlife. More than I would like—because some of it is crosses the path in front of my vehicle. It is almost as though I’ve been admitted into a petting zoo: cows, horses, goats, dogs, cats, squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs, chickens, hawks, crows, wild turkeys, and yes, even deer. I have not hit anything yet (thank goodness) but am being more careful in the spots the animals frequent. Especially since I learned that SC is a high risk state for hitting a deer with the likelihood being 1 in 140. (AL is medium risk at 1 in 163). http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/_pressreleases/2011/october/3/us-deer-collisions-fall.asp
I have finally been able to find my way downtown without my GPS. I consider this a big accomplishment. But a goal remains: I have yet to see a Palmetto tree. For a state that prides itself on a particular tree, you think it would be more prolific. Everything from banks, caterers, restaurants, organizations, etc all have Palmetto in the name. I guess I could just find a palm tree, I’ve heard they are similar…
So goal for the next two months: find a Palmetto in the Palmetto State.
I have faith you can find a palmetto. And not kill any fuzzy critters. Love you, badge-badge!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited about these updates! I'm going to read them as soon as I get home. :D
ReplyDeleteYay I finally read them! That drive to work does look LOVELY! And I'm so glad you haven't run over any squirrels yet. Keep up the good work. Thank you for posting all of this! So exciting! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteMaybe it will finally let me post a comment on here. I tried to comment on several of your earlier blogs, but with no success.
ReplyDeleteGlad things are going well with you. Hopefully you'll get all the food stamp stuff worked out soon!
Love you!