For those that believe that it is easy to attain public assistance, I can personally tell you—it is not.
I am not yet receiving public assistance.
It has been one month and two days since I filed my application.
Here is what the process looks like:
9/9- I faxed my complete application with AmeriCorps letter.
9/12 – My case worker called me on my cell at 3:50pm. Since I was at work and had no service, I did not receive the call. I returned his call the next day and left a message with my work number.
9/13-- He called my office at 6:30pm, so I missed the call. I returned his call the next day and again left a message.
9/14- I received a notice in the mail stating that there had been too many days elapse on my file and that it would be closed if I did not contact my case worker. I called the number he gave me at least once a day and left an additional message after I received the notice in the mail.
9/26 -- I finally received another call before I got to work and promptly returned the call. He answered and I completed the phone interview then.
Actually, when I called him back to complete the phone interview he informed me that my case had been denied but that he would refile my application for me; however my benefits would only be retroactive to the date of reapplication (9/26) and not (9/9) date of original application. This means I am loosing an entire month of benefits. He ensured me that “this is no one’s fault; it’s just one of those things that happens.” I will be honest; short of me stalking this man, I believe I did all I could on my part.
During that same conversation, he asked me to fax him an electric bill and copy of my lease, however, the number he gave me had a full memory and could not receive faxes. I called and he gave me another number. This one too had a full memory. I thought perhaps that it was our fax machine, but other faxes went through fine. I called him for an email address or something and never heard back. So, that week, I faxed the information about twice a day to both numbers with no success.
Finally, 10/5 I mailed the info to his office with a copy of every denied fax coversheet. As of today, I have not heard anything.
Though I am getting frustrated, I’m staying professional and understanding since I am familiar with the type and quantity that my caseworker has to deal with. My VISTA leader is involved in getting this taken care of with United Way’s contacts in DSS.
I am not sharing this with you to rant or to tell you how mess up our system is. I just want to share my experience so as to inform others who may not have experiences with social services what this is like.
I will keep you updated about any developments.
No comments:
Post a Comment