Monday, February 13, 2012

Boys Home Happenings

Things have been busy at the boys’ home during the past few weeks. So what have I been doing?

Our two-year license with Dept. Social Services(DSS) expires this summer, so we have also been busy making sure paperwork is in order and that everything is in place for multiple surprise inspections by both DSS and the Dept. of Health (DHEC). I have also been working with our maintenance supervisor on a vocational skills curriculum for our boys. Most of the skills you and I gleaned from our parents, they have yet to learn. I must say, I’m pretty pumped about the cooking and men’s fashion portions J

In early January our Executive Director announced that the board would begin scouting for his replacement. This came as no surprise to me. Two months earlier, my supervisor had begun to put the pieces together and let me know. I feel blessed to work with such an amazing group of people every day. Our current E.D. was hired two years ago to make Glenn Springs Academy a marketable business, which now it is. He acknowledges that we need someone with Group Home experience in order to become accredited. I’m sad that we are losing a member of our team, but am excited for the changes a new executive director will bring so we can continue to serve our boys. This new person will most likely start at the end of March and with a very smooth transition.

One of the best parts of my job is connecting volunteers to opportunities on our campus. We have had a number of church groups come and bring our boys baked goods and just spend time with them. It seems like just yesterday they brought Christmas goodies and today they brought Valentines. How quickly time passes!

I share all of this to give some insight about how a Group Home functions. This is something I’ve always wanted to do and I’m thankful to now have experience with DHEC, DSS, and whatever else I will encounter during the next six months. Though, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention what I’m missing to be here, something I’ve only begun to experience. Homesickness is taking its toll as I was told that my grandmother had been in the hospital and will receive triple bypass heart surgery tomorrow morning. If I may make a personal plea, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers now and during her lengthy recovery.

I’m working on something fun for my 6 month-iversary in Spartanburg, so stay tuned!

~James 1:2~

1 comment:

  1. Badge! I've finally caught up on your past posts, and it warms my heart to read your Badgerly account of things. <3 It also makes me miss you muchly. I'm glad things are going well and that your grandmother's doing well post-surgery, too! We've got to Skype soon, chica.

    ReplyDelete