Thursday, February 23, 2012

Month Six-- Halfway Started

Downtown Spartanburg

I am official more than halfway through my Vista year of service. It seems like it was just autumn or at least Christmas. For my Month Six Update, I wanted to something different. So, here is my “Vista Experience by Numbers.”

Population of Spartanburg County in 2010: 37,013
Number of years Spartanburg Boys Home/ Glenn Springs Academy has been in operation: 41
Total number of boys served since my being here: 45
Age of the youngest boy: 11
Age of oldest boy: 19
Number of foster care of group home placements the oldest boy has had: 37 (in 2 states)
Number of days it took me to get food stamps from the date of my original application: 125
Amount (in dollars) I receive in food stamps (SNAP) each month: 99
Number of times I’ve been to the mall: 2
Number of times I’ve been to Goodwill: 6+
Number of times I’ve been to a movie theater: 1
Number of movies I’ve rented from Redbox or the library: 20+
Number of days until The Hunger Games is in theaters: 29
Number of photos I have uploaded to GSA’s Facebook page: 97
Number of volunteers for whom I have orchestrated activities: 235
Number of hours volunteers have served our boys: 1,063.5
Value (in dollars) of Christmas gifts I was able to get donated: 13,071
Value (in dollars) of all volunteer hours performed thus far: 21,270 *


*The United Way quantifies that each volunteer hour is worth $20 each. This number is twice what I will be paid this year.

I’m not a fan of McDonald’s but I wanted a pic of the SC flag. 
Note: I still haven’t seen a Palmetto Tree.
At out meeting this past week, our Vista Leader announced that for the first 6 months, the 12 Vistas in Spartanburg have a 382% return on investment. What a great start!

For my update next month, I would like some reader participation. Comment, text, email, call me with questions regarding Spartanburg, Vista, working at a boys’ home, or anything else. And I mean anything. Make them practical or crazy. Looking forward to receiving those. Until then, best wishes!

2 comments:

  1. Re: Questions about Spartanburg

    Feel free to ignore this question if you feel it's not appropriate, but could you tell us more about the boys themselves? Not anything personal obviously, but generally their stories--where they come from, how they got where they are, how you're helping them, where they can go from here, that kind of thing. Love and miss you, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrrrmmmm. Question I want answered: Have you met the smartest dog in the world yet? Just kidding. My real question: what's the most surprising thing about your job or life in Spartanburg this year?

    Thanks for this post! Fascinating! Miss you.
    <3
    squirrel

    ReplyDelete