Greetings friends! I feel that it has been so long since I last wrote
that I might need to reintroduce myself…
With the weather warming up and the arrival of spring, activity here in
Spartanburg and at the boys’ home picked up. I’ve coordinated multiple volunteer
groups that have done all kinds of things for our boys and campus like clearing
our hiking trails, and lots of organization. Also, the boys’ Spring Break was a
week ago and I was heavily involved in planning activities for that as well. We
had a field day and an Easter egg hunt. I have also started a blog to chronicle
daily activities here on campus. You can read about all of the fun Spring Break
festivities on it here. In addition, our annual spring fundraiser, an art
auction and oyster roast is in a week.
So here are the answers to those questions you asked:
What
is your interaction with the boys? Do you get to see them a lot?
I do not have a ton of direct contact with the boys, but since they are
always here, I see some more often than others. My office is in the Admin
building with 5 other people. The boys only come into this building if they
have a meeting or need something. Though, several of the boys come in to tell
me hi, and, since my office has no door, to jump in and yell “boo!” Boys have
often asked for help with homework, projects, or to proofread a paper. I most
often see them at lunch since we get lunch from the same place and when I
interview them or ask their opinion on something. When there are activities
like Field Day or a trip to a museum or the movies, I get to hang out with all of
them. I feel it is important to make an effort and introduce myself whenever we
get someone new and to know all the boys by name and for them to know me as
well.
What
is something cool that happens at work?
On Tuesdays, I take six boys to a ranch for equine therapy. I’ve only
been taking them a few weeks but we have been sending boys there for years. I
have really enjoyed observing the boys’ interactions with the horses (some of
them are good enough to start competition riding!) and getting to know the staff
there. They really care for the boys and are really encouraging, which makes it
a fun place to be.
What’s
the most surprising thing about your job or life in Spartanburg this year?
The thing that I keep noticing at work, Spartanburg, and life is how
the things perceived as real become so (based upon one of my favorite quotes I
learned in Sociology). Moving to a new place, especially with the monumental
task of alleviating poverty, I defiantly had some assumptions coming in. But Spartanburg
is like any community; I only notice the poverty because that’s why I’m here. There
is a large disparity between the rich and the poor, but there is a common sense
of community and I think people are working together to better Spartanburg for
everyone involved.
I think there is a negative mindset around working with teens,
especially those that are at-risk. Even assuming a significant difference
between the boys that are Dept of Social Services versus those that are from
the Dept of Juvenile Justice (have records) has been erroneous. Some of our
boys have intimidating demeanor, and, if you put them in a hoodie at night, I
would be concerned. The point is that these young men have only been pleasant
to work with and are more respectful than any group of young people with whom
I’ve been associated. The greatest compliment to hear when I bring visitors on
campus is not how gorgeous the scenery is, but that the boys were polite. You
would think that since I have a Sociology degree I would’ve picked up on this
sooner, but in my experience, people act the way you treat them—treat teenaged
boys like punks and they’ll act like punks. Treat them like younger siblings
and that’s what they’ll be.
Conversely, I think I have a certain perception of “do-gooders”--that
they want to right injustices as much as I. When you mention to a church what
desperate needs you have (socks, underwear, etc), their response shouldn’t be
“We’ll pray about it.” I believe in the power of prayer but I think we are also
called to action. If you have the means, a “yes” should be on your lips before
the request is made. I now try to keep this in mind when I volunteer.
This year has also been a learning experience as far as dealing with
volunteers. Sometimes, you have to accommodate their every request because
“They’re doing you a favor.” Other times, they go above and beyond what you
could have imagined. You never know.
What
are the boys’ stories? Where do they come from? How do they get there? How are
you helping them? Where do they go from there?
Okay. This one was a little difficult. Here is a very basic
understanding of what I have gleaned from trainings about working with kids in
state custody. But first, let’s start with where the boys come from:
¯
Dept. of Juvenile Justice (DJJ)—
§
The boy commits a crime (trespassing, theft, etc)
§
Judge sends him to us for his sentence because we have a JRH program (either
the crime was not severe enough or the boy is too small/young to go to lockup)
¯
Dept. of Social Services (DSS)—
o
Incident (report of abuse or neglect, death of single parent, etc)
catches the attention of DSS
o
Child is immediately taken out of the home
o
If the report or case is substantiated and no other family member is a
suitable placement, the child is placed in protective services (emergency
placement)
o
Depending upon the child’s level of care needed, age, gender, and
numerous other factors, he is then placed into a program.
§
If he is in need of Level 2 (intermediate) care, a boy between the ages
of 10-21, he is eligible to be considered to enter our program.
§
(Continuum of Care in a nutshell: Level 3 is high risk, like a mental
institution; Level 1 is low risk; and below that is foster care.)
A little background on children in DSS custody:
o
Abuse sustained by birth parent(s), foster parent(s), or extended
family (uncles, cousins, etc)
o
Generally they come from families with a history of criminal activity,
substance abuse, psychiatric illness, inappropriate sexual behavior
o
Kids exhibit verbal aggressiveness, oppositional defiance,
hyperactivity, abandonment issues
o
Have other siblings in DSS care. Sometimes there is DSS involvement
before this certain child was born.
o
In many cases, the parents’ parental right has been terminated by a
court
o
Are bounced from placement to placement. One of our kids has been in 13
homes in 10 years.
o
Most all of them are on a variety of medications for health conditions
and attention deficit disorders.
What
are we doing for them once they are here?
First, they receive an education. Most of the boys attend public
school, but we also have teachers on campus to work with boys who might need
more specialized care. Some of the older boys are in college or on the GED
track. Boys that want jobs, we assist them in finding those. Basically anything
a parent would do, we do on a larger scale—taking kids to doctor, dentist,
court appointments; take them clothes shopping; dropping kids off at sports practice,
church, or school if they missed the bus; helping them with homework;
celebrating birthdays; etc.
Next, we provide counseling and therapy for the boys. This includes
equine therapy, mental health services, and a psychologist that meets with boys
on campus. Along the same lines as education, we teach them life skills to
ensure that they can be successful adults after they leave our care. This
includes financial management, household chores, how to drive, and
vocational/mechanical skills in our shop.
![]() |
| Our Maintenance guy, Bo, teaching one of the boys how to fix a door |
Where
do they go from here? After the boys leave our care, they are moved to a lower level of
care, which for most is foster care. For others that are over 18, they choose
to sign themselves out of DSS custody and live on their own. These boys have
jobs and move into an apartment.
What would I say we do? I think we’re in the kid-raising business.
Unlike most people, we do it by the dozens. Just today, I was working with one
of our boys in college study for his exams next week. I’ve been fortunate to
get to know some of the boys and they told me what they want to be when they
grow up. Their answers range from architect and law enforcement officer to
welder and American Idol contestant. These are very resilient young men and if
they want it bad enough, there’s no doubt that they will get it.
Post your questions and comments below. As always, it's been a pleasure :)


No comments:
Post a Comment