| As a part of AmeriCorps Week, Mayor Riley recognized the |
Eight
months ago today I first set foot into this office and into my role as a VISTA
Leader here in Charleston .
Crazy!
So
I guess the million dollar question is—what have I been doing?
My
desk!
|
At
work, my co-leader and I have been making sure the needs of our 24 members are
being met. Whether it’s site issues, providing them with resources, or planning
meeting or training opportunities, we stay pretty busy. We also work with other
AmeriCorps projects and do outreach. We coordinated with the other National
Service organizations in the area for the Mayor’s Day Recognition of National
Service at the City Council Meeting last night. There are over 130 individuals in
Charleston serving
with AmeriCorps, RSVP, and SeniorCorps. We are very fortunate to have a city
and mayor that is so supportive and advocates for National Service.
Recently,
we did informational meetings for organizations interested in being VISTA sites for the 2013-2014 term. Those applications have
been turned in and passed along to our Grant Review Team. Once their
recommendations are made, sites will be selected, and VISTA
member recruitment will begin in May. What a whirlwind process!
In
addition to our VISTA project duties, I am
also a part of an Action Learning Team sponsored by AmeriCorps. I applied back
in November and found out in January that I was a part of the team! Seven other
VISTA Leaders from around the country and me, with the help of a facilitator,
are working to create a guide for VISTA Leaders to use in supporting their
members. I have enjoyed the opportunity to work with great people I’ve never
met and to meet some pretty important people with the Corporation for National
and Community Service. Our resource should be completed by the end of April and
ready for presentation in May.
Personally,
the last few weeks have been insane. A college student from my bible study
moved into our house and some of my friends from college came for a visit. I am
so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by not only awesome folks, but awesome
folks that love the Lord. I have been both challenged and encouraged by my
interactions and look forward to more in the coming months.
No comments:
Post a Comment