Okay,
you were supposed to hear the title in Kirk Franklin’s voice followed by shouts
of praise and much rejoicing. If the grammar of the title bothers you,
pretend it says otherwise :-)
This
week I began a month-long training to become a Guardian ad Litem (GAL),
court-appointed child advocate. In South
Carolina , this is a volunteer opportunity through the
office of the governor. Though we’ve only had two lessons, I can’t wait to be
assigned cases. I feel bizarre saying that I look forward discussing child
abuse and neglect for 3 hours, but I think it just demonstrates my passion to
help the victims of it.
It
has been easy to focus on my job in Charleston
and not be reminded of the many abused children I worked with last year, but
this training keeps bringing them to mind. (For more about them, click here.)
I
called one of the employees still at the boys’ home this week to serve as a
reference for my GAL application and he filled me in with their current
situation.
Last
Friday, they celebrated the high school graduations of 3 of the boys. One had
been there since he was little and another would be homeless if not for the
home. As you can imagine it was an emotional affair. Little did they know that
early that day the Executive Director had announced to staff that everyone was
to be laid off and the boys sent to other facilities.
These
are trying financial times and I will save you from my rant about the State’s
stance on “Family Reunification.” Short version: Children in the system are not
being placed at group homes anymore. The decline of referrals was drastically
noticeable while I still worked there, hence why they diversified into
accepting clients from the Dept. of Juvenile Justice (DJJ). The hope is for the
boys’ home to deal exclusively with DJJ clients in the future. Until then, they
are seeking financial outlets to bring back laid off employees, including
liquidating assets.
Please
pray for the 30+ staff members who will be without a job tomorrow. Several of
them have been with the organization for 20 years. These people have a heart
for the boys and I have had the pleasure of working with most of them. And pray
for the administration and board as they make some tough decisions.
Please
pray for the boys who will once again have to pack up their few belongings to
move elsewhere. They will be scattered—away from each other and the place some
of them have called home for years.
Please
pray for the fate of this institution that has housed young men for over 40
years. Pray that when it emerges from this trial, it will rise better equipped
to serve children so dear to God’s heart and that He would be glorified.
Thank
you for letting me share something that’s been heavy on my heart this week.
I am
almost at the 10 month mark and will post that update soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment