![]() |
| Oh, Charleston-- how I will miss thee. |
After 2
years in South Carolina, I’m returning to home to Alabama!
Okay, not my hometown, but closer. At least in the state I refer to as home.
I wish I
could say it was my idea.
So at the
end of July as my term as a VISTA Leader was coming to a close, I was seeking
leads. What was I going to do next? I was grateful for the opportunity to go to
Dallas with my parents and clear my head a bit. I had been talking to people
and sending my resume out lots of places. Doors were closing—almost at a
supernatural rate, I decided. So I prayed and asked for the Lord to show me
where doors were open. The next morning I felt what could only be described as
a whisper on my heart: Birmingham.
So, moving
to Birmingham was always an option. I figured after I got the Carolinas out of
my system and earned some money, I could move back. I mean it seemed to be
where most of the cool kids lived (aka those with whom I graduated). Sure, why
not? But not now.
I figured I
could move to the Ham if things didn’t work out here. I mean, I love
Charleston, right?
Can I just tell
you that during the one week mulled over what to do traffic in Charleston was a
nightmare? And it flooded. None of these things were out of the ordinary, but
it was as if my decision was being made for me. And I am okay with that.
Those of you
that know me know that I am incredibly indecisive about important things. Small
things, not so much, but the big ones, I have to poll the audience 12 times
over. And then I will most likely choose the other option.
But I never
asked for what to do about this.
Because I
knew.
I knew that
I knew that I knew that this was the
path. I didn’t know what I would find when I get there, but I’m going. Sure, I
will miss the people I’ve had the opportunity to know and the beach being so
close and Charleston and the beach and the food and South Carolina and the
beach; and suddenly, all of that didn’t seem supremely vital.
So I began
to tell people that I was moving. And it began to feel real. And I was so blessed
to be able to share the Who (me), What (TBD?), When (soon-ish), Where (B’ham-ish),
and Why (God). I am not naturally a person that steps out in faith, but I am so
excited about whatever it is that lies ahead. Even if the reward is that of
obedience and absolutely nothing comes out of this, I would do it again.
So, those of
you in the B’ham area, I look forward to seeing you soon! I’m trying to get all
the important details sorted out now.
I finished
my term as a VISTA Leader a few weeks ago. I shared with our members that it
will take time to process all that one has truly gained from the VISTA experience
and I look forward to it. There is a new batch of VISTAs and Leaders starting
in Charleston, so think about them as the work continues.
Thanks for
your continued support.
"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be the glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." -- Ephesians 3:20-21
That, my friends, is WHY I AM STILL SMILING.
"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be the glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." -- Ephesians 3:20-21
That, my friends, is WHY I AM STILL SMILING.

I'm glad you know where you're going next but the beach just got a lot lonelier!!
ReplyDelete