Sunday, September 4, 2011

How goes the work?



My first day at work (8/15) was great. Since I had already been there and met people, I was not anxious at all—just ready to get started. I got settled into my desk and started learning my way around. I was also told a shortcut to work that will shave 5 mins off my 30 min commute. My co-workers are so sweet and entertaining, and I know I will love working with them.

The boys home is on 50 acres of land that was once the location of a vacation hotel for congressman. It was known for the spring that could cure many ailments. Later I got to see what remains of the spring from a well in a covered gazebo and the historic chapel and old store on the hill. There are numerous bike trails throughout. The cabins where the boys live are immaculate—they are only a few years old and look like log cabin vacation condos in Gatlinburg. There is a gym, recreation field, classrooms for students that attend school on campus (most attend public schools), and they are renovating a space to turn into a shop/garage to teach the boys vocational skills.

Lunch is supplied in the cafeteria where the boys eat. The chef also lets me grab breakfast and dinner whenever too. For lunch, we mostly have chicken or fried bologna sandwiches with French fries or chips, but we’ve had lasagna, hamburger steak and mashed potatoes and green beans, and Wade’s fried chicken and French fries. So much for eating healthier and being a vegetarian once I got to Spartanburg… but having meals provided during the week saves me a ton on groceries.

I have gotten to meet a few of the residents, but most have already started school so they are gone most of the day. I’ve never considered myself a “9 to 5” worker because I get bored easily, but since I love what I’m doing, it’s not so bad.

On Tuesday, Aug 30th, the Executive Director, Dir of Residential Services, and myself attended a conference at the Dept. of Juvenile Justice facility in Columbia. It was about tracking outcomes to get the most ideal statistics about your program. I look forward to using what I learned there to help track statistics for Glenn Springs, that can be passed along to DSS to gain more referrals. Currently, I’m also working on the volunteer and mentoring programs, fundraising, and doing preparation for accreditation. I love it J

No comments:

Post a Comment