![]() |
The SC Welcome Center with the notorious palmetto. Notice the “Children Welcome”- in the state or in the welcome center? |
After PSO was over, my wonderful parents 0:-] drove to ATL with what I will need for the next year tightly packed into the van. I met them at The Varsity for lunch and then we made our way to SC. It is about a 3 hour drive from ATL. We stopped at the SC visitor’s center and got reams of pamphlets on the area. We went to my apartment and unloaded everything. I had already met my roommate during PSO. We met the first night at the dessert table (it was meant to be… J) . She is from Minnesota and is working with an organization that encourages an active lifestyle. That night my parents, roommate, and I ate at Wade’s- an authentically Southern restaurant. It was recommended in a magazine and is a staple of Spartanburg . I didn’t realize how much I had missed sweet tea while at PSO (who knew the hotel would only serve that iced tea crap).
The next day, my parents and I visited the Boys Home for a tour. It was so surreal going to this place and meeting these people with whom I had only encountered on the phone. After so many months preparing for it, researching it on the Internet, and being trained for it; it was finally nice to see that it does actually exist.
On Monday, the other 12 VISTAs in the ![]() |
The Daniel Morgan Statue |
Next, we talked about how we were feeling about this experience thus far. Some were nervous, anxious, etc. I was ready. I had the same outlook I’d had during PSO: let’s stop talking about poverty and actually do something about it. Then, we went on a field trip the Gifts In Kind Center (see POVERTY) and were given training there. Aterwards, we receive a welcome basket filled with candles, lotions, and smell-good stuff from Bridgewater Candle Co. The candles were Votivo brand—the ones that Oprah uses.
The CEO of United Way locally also introduced us to the area. He stated that the city’s biggest shortfalls were teen pregnancy, early childhood literacy, financial stability, and low educational attainment. From what I have noticed thus far, there seems to be a large gap between the rich and poor. The poverty rate was 17 percent and in 2006, 37 percent of Spartanburg County babies were born to single mothers.
Looks like we have a big job ahead of us.


No comments:
Post a Comment