Saturday, September 3, 2011

[Introduction] Read me first

Welcome!
First of all, thanks for taking time to read this.
This blog chronicles my year of service as an AmeriCorps*VISTA in Spartanburg, SC. For those of you who don’t know, there are several AmeriCorps programs- NCCC serves communities directly though construction, disaster relief, etc. VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) is full-time capacity building and can be compared to Peace Corps, but in the US. I get a modest stipend (see POVERTY section) while working at a non-profit. [For more info on AmeriCorps programs, see RESOURCES section]

This year, I will be working at a Boys’ Home. I will be involved in marketing, fundraising, volunteer recruiting, and establishing a mentoring program for the boys. I am super excited about this opportunity. During this next year, I ask for your thoughts and prayers as I venture into the unknown. My prayer for you is that you will find where you fit and are able to serve in your community—whether volunteering with friends, family, individually, or maybe even through AmeriCorps.
Best wishes!
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment