Friday, December 2, 2011

90-day Review

Cabin at the boys' home

Has it really been 90 days already?!

It has been full of so many new experiences, triumphs, and disappointments.

To be totally honest, around day 90, I was feeling a little bit cynical and disillusioned. Most of the first 90 days were spent learning how the boys’ home worked and finding my way around Spartanburg. By the third month though, I am so deep in my organization and its needs, I feel as though nine more months is not near enough time to fulfill them. There is so much to do that I can’t possibly make a dent.

Then I think about how I was before all of this: just graduated from college and never having lived anywhere but home or school. I was still adult-like because I owned my car and making payments on it. Now, three months later, I am living 7 hours away from home, working a 9 to 5 job, applying for grad schools, and paying for rent, electricity, cable, water, and groceries. (I think it has taken by body this long to get adjusted to sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day.)

 Even if I accomplished absolutely nothing a work, I had grown as a person as a result of this experience. And luckily, I have accomplished things at work. Marketing, fundraising, and organizing volunteers might not be the dramatic impact I want to make for these boys now, but you can’t change things overnight. I feel like I am more capable to help my organization today than I was three months ago and that gives me hope for the next 9 months.


Enjoy these random pictures from the last 90 days:
























" You wanna be great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling." -Elizabethtown

Ferdinand! (The lizard who resides in my office).
He greeted me  when I returned from Thanksgiving.


For those of you wondering: No, I never got my food stamps. I’m exploring my options.

Here is a local news story about the United Way’s Gift In-Kind Center where non-profits like the boys’ home and poor Vistas (J) can get toiletries among other things: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/dec/01/walmart-returns-help-provide-for-needy-ar-2784812/

2 comments:

  1. No food stamps? That is so sad. I hope you find some other options. Meanwhile, don't get scurvy!

    I know what it's like not going home for Christmas--though you will be spending the holidays in a way that is more contributory to society as a whole. (I've been looking into caving expeditions to take while Kat is away with her family.) So if you start to feel lonely shoot a message my way, because I'm in more or less the same boat. Christmas isn't the same without family.

    Thanks for keeping us updated with your life, Badger! I think I'm driving north this summer, so if you're still there, maybe I can swing by for a visit.

    Lots o' love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Badger, you've got the spiffiest attitude. <3 And is that another Elizabethtown reference I see?! WOT? Rock it to the moon.

    I'm so glad Ferdinand was still alive and kicking when you got back.

    I'm serious about this three-way-Skype that needs to happen come Christmas time, too. Of course, we must Skype much sooner than that. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete