Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas in Sparkle City


As I sit here drinking hot chocolate, I think about Christmases of the past. 

Many historically well-known events include Washington crossing the Delaware in 1776 and the Christmas Truce of 1914 between the Germans, French, and Scottish troops that inspired the film Joyeaux Noel. Additionally To Kill A Mockingbird debuted in 1962 and Harry Potter returned to Godric’s Hollow with Hermione on Christmas Eve in 1997.

All of this being said, apart from the birth of Jesus, December the 25th is pretty much an ordinary day. And perhaps more so for restaurant workers, newspaper deliverers, athletes, the media, sales associates, the military, and police and fire personnel. For them and others, Christmas really is just like any other day at work. So, as you go eat at Denny’s or Hardees, grab last minute items from Publix or Toys R Us, read the paper, watch the game or news, or as the fire department arrives because you forgot about the ham in the oven, thank those who are away from their families this holiday season so you can celebrate with yours.

So what am I doing this Christmas?
After church tonight I will head to work. I will be organizing gifts and stockings, loading them in the car, and delivering them to cabins and dorm at the boys’ home after the boys are asleep, where the staff will put them under the tree. In short, I get to be Santa Claus.

When morning comes, I will try to be in three places at once in order to capture the boys’ excitement in film form. Plus I am helping prepare breakfast. But more importantly, I am spending this family-oriented holiday with boys who do not have one.
Click here to see some of the Chrismtas pics at the boys’ home.

So, as you celebrate this holiday season, a few things to ponder:

·         Think about the gifts you receive and give and what occurred to enable such to happen.
For the boys at the boys’ home, they will have gifts because of a diligent staff, and benevolent churches and individuals.
·         Think about those who are working today so you don’t have to.
·         Value those around you.

May the joy of this season be yours now and always.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Spartanburg!

Blessings,
Nicole



“He became like us so we could strive to become more like Him.”

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I'll bet being Santa Claus was so much fun. I'm imagining you in a santa hat and your converse.

    I definitely appreciate my family so much more after this Christmas without them. It was so wonderful of you to spend your time with those boys so that they could have a taste of a Christmas surrounded by people who love them. I admire you so much, Badger!

    I miss you dreadfully and love you heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! No Santa hat and I couldn't find my Converses! Aww you are so sweet dear. I admire YOU! I guess we're all doing things that scare us: you jumping out of planes and me spending time with boys ;) Love you and miss you tons as well. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete