Before I headed back home to Alabama for Thanksgiving, I was given the privilege of helping with Feed the Community. It is an organization in Spartanburg that supplies Thanksgiving meals to those who need them. The week before Thanksgiving, a local church opens up its phone lines for people to call in their orders and the meals are delivered on Thanksgiving. The phone lines were staffed by volunteers at United Way and the other VISTAs serving in the area, including myself. (Link to story about this: http://vistasinthepiedmont.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/feed-the-community/)
I enjoyed the opportunity to connect with community members, mostly lower income, that I do not normally have the chance. It was inspiring to hear their gratitude or the kindness of those calling in meals for others. The orders spanned across Spartanburg County—from trailer parks, homes, apartments, campgrounds, and motels (where the “invisible” homeless reside).
I would encourage you this holiday season to connect with such populations as well. There are so many opportunities during the holidays to serve “undesirable” populations. It might just change your outlook on your community.
Next, I wanted to share about a tough decision that I made. I have decided that this will be my first Christmas to spend away from home and my family. I have been working to get Christmas gifts at the boys’ home and would like to see the boys open them on Christmas morning. Also, I think this is a rare opportunity spend the holiday with those who don’t have anyone with whom to celebrate.
I hope that during this holiday season you are able to treasure what really matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment