Friday, September 21, 2012

Charleston


I can’t believe I’ve been in Charleston for one month!

I still can not get over how gloriously historical this town is. History is everywhere. There are historical markers on every building. On my walk to the bank I saw the site where SC succeeded from the Union during the Civil War. Plus there’s Fort Sumter and the Hunley submarine. In the basement of my office, there are the remnants of a moat. I have been told that was where the Hunley sat before it was put on display.
Office lobby
Onto my office, it is in a cute historical building that previously contained a bank. It has high ceilings and windows, meticulous crown molding, stained glass, and beautiful wrought iron features. It’s surrounded by art galleries and is also home to the city’s legal department and media offices. It is separated from the immaculate City Hall building by a small park complete with food vendors. From my office window, I watch the horse-drawn carriage tours clop along by.

View from my desk
Thus far, I have learned a ton. Everything in downtown is super expensive. If things weren’t already over-priced, the tax rate is 10.5%. There are so many culinary delights to experience; I just need to save up (though I have had already experienced a few …). I’ve also learned that I prefer the serenity of rural scenery more to the hustle and bustle of the city. Charleston does have charm that makes it more endearing than other cities though. Plus it helps that I’m beginning to learn my way around.

I have been told by reliable sources that York, UK has the aroma of brownies. I have concluded, therefore, that Charleston too has a scent— antique stores (you know the smell of old important things) and smoked meat (probably BBQ). This is at least the smell of Broad/ Meeting Streets. Elsewhere the air contains the salty crisp of the sea. Other areas also include the smell of horse, but we’ll exclude that for aesthetic purposes. My first few weeks have included memorable dishes—the best burger you’ve ever eaten, stuffed hush puppies, and shrimp & grits, twice—and multiple trips to the beach. Most occur on weekends but I’ve fit a trip or two in after work when necessary to watch the sunset over rippling waves.


I could get used to this.

3 comments:

  1. Your office looks sweet as! Loved your description of Charleston. I've always wanted to go back, and now I have someone to visit when I do! Love you heaps.

    -Destiny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you love those historical markers...how do you make it anywhere on time? ;) And oh my goodness. A moat? The scent of antique stores and BBQ? And the BEACH? Sounds absolutely wonderful. I loved reading this post! Can't wait to come see for myself. Take care, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can come visit now, plz? Charleston sounds fantastic, Badge, as does this office! Tax rate, not so much. But I guess no city with such amazing food can be THAT perfect. Your reliable sources are so reliable, by the way, and I can't wait to take a whiff of this lovely Charleston smell for myself.

    ReplyDelete