I have
spent a lot of time thinking about this crazy VISTA
journey, especially since it has been over a year since it began. If it were a
soundtrack (which is in the works, by the way), I think it would be called the
“Majestically Mystery Tour.” I know that God has directed the route because
I’ve met some really awesome people along the way and because I never knew
where I was headed. Regardless of how long people were in my life, I have been
blessed by each encounter. And the journey continues…
I finished up last week as an
AmeriCorps*VISTA member in the first week of August and my vote for “Best
Parents Ever” came to Spartanburg
to help me move. (This might not mean anything to you, but we also had a mini
Nascar tour by visiting the site of Bud Moore’s old garage and the headquarters
of Phoenix Racing. My dad was elated.)
My cute little house (because it
is a house, not a dorm or apartmentJ) is in North Charleston in a
cute little neighborhood within walking distance of the library. My roommates
could not have been better. Both ladies are attending/did attend Charleston
Southern University very close to the house (the Samford of Charleston). Though
both are busy, I have been able to hang out with them some and look forward to
more. And we have a black lab/great dane mix, Bella, who has quickly become my
adopted dog (and Criminal Minds snuggle buddy). I am also blessed to be a part
of an amazing staff. My supervisor is cool, my co-leader super sweet, and the
Vista for our office is from Alabama !
My co-leader and I started work
one week before our Vistas did. We prepared for their On-Site Orientation and
finally got a chance to meet all 24 a week ago. They are from all over the country,
range in age from 20-65, and will be working in the areas of literacy,
education, volunteer development, and veteran’s services. I look forward to
serving them this year as they work to alleviate poverty all over Charleston County .
Honestly, though I was working at
the boys’ home four weeks ago, it feels like a different life. Perhaps because
I feel like I disengaged three months ago when I anticipated that the end was
near. I don’t miss Spartanburg
like I had thought but do miss the people with whom I associated there. Saying
goodbye was bittersweet, but when isn't it though, really?
Please include your comments and
questions below.
How old are your roommates and what do they do?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have a CM snuggle buddy. You can hold her hand (er, paw) when it gets scary. :)
Glad you moved down here "with me" even if it has been a couple weeks since we actually hung out! I hope you enjoy your second year with VISTA and your time in Charleston. And soon enough my apartment will be all nice and clean and we can get to cooking and stuff. And I swear I'm going to make it up to N. Charleston to see your house soon!!
ReplyDeleteYay Kristi!
ReplyDeleteBecca Sue- Jackie is a senior education major & cheerleader at CSU. Chelsie graduated the same year we did also with an education degree. She spent the last year teaching in China. Like everyone else, she is looking for a job :) Both of them go to church together.
I want to see pictures of this house :)
ReplyDelete